8 Back to School Tips for Better Sleep
Quality Sleep is Integral to School Performance
The excitement and energy you feel as you head back to school is like no other feeling. Beyond the fun of meeting new people and getting to experience new things, college can quickly remind you that it is not all fun and games. After the first few weeks deadlines start to stack up, tests begin to pile on, and if you are like most college kids also trying to maintain a social life, great sleep can quickly become an afterthought.
Insufficient sleep has recently been directly linked to poor grades in school. As disconcerting as this may seem the emphasis on productivity over happiness is really a chronic problem in our work obsessed world. Beyond the impact of poor sleep on your grades, a lifetime of habits can be formed from your behavior during your time in school.
That said, sleep doesn't have to be hard! Today we would like to share 8 quick tips to help you maximize your relaxation and snooze time to help you be your best self.
Aromatherapy: Whether you choose to go with essential oils or a new candle, great aromatherapy in your dorm or apartment can brighten your room and make everything about your day better.
- Meet your Minimum: Set a minimum amount of sleep each night and make it a point to always get your minimum sleep time or more. No amount of studying will make up for a bad night of rest. Our absolute minimum recommendation is 6 hours of sleep nightly.
- Utilize Calming Apps: Meditation and calming apps are extremely popular for working professionals these days, and it should be no different for you as a student. A variety of recent studies have shown the benefits to finding time to reflect on your day. Two very popular apps currently on the market are Calm and Headspace.
- Specialty Pillows: Be honest, some of your school work gets done while laying in bed. Specialty pillows like a lounge pillow can allow you to rest in comfort while staying productive. Also, you don't have to break your budget to get a great pillow. Whatever your needs are don't fill your room with grandma's old pillows!
- Set your Alarm the Right Way: There may be no more annoying sound than that of a traditional alarm clock. Many great alarm apps out there today can you help you ease into your morning. Alarmy is one of the best rated alarm apps on Apple's app store. Coffee never hurts either!
- Comforter: I still remember my old blue comforter from college. I'll be honest it wasn't very comfortable. I wish I knew then what I know now. An awesome comforter or duvet can make your sleep experience 10 times better.
- Decompression: Take just 30 minutes before bed without any electronic devices. I know that probably sounds like crazy talk, but blue light from electronics can ruin your sleep and keep you up all night. Not to pile on, but we also recommend to avoid eating a minimum two hours before bed. Going to bed before you have a chance to digest your food can lead to low energy, poor sleep, and even gaining weight.
- New Mattress: While this may seem obvious, mattress shopping can be very confusing. Many bed in a box options are low density foam toppers masquerading as mattresses. Luckily, we have a great recommendation for a high quality bed in a box mattress that can easily fit in your car!
Great sleep doesn't have to come with a curfew. It's your time to show you can manage all the challenges of living on your own. As you set about creating your plan take the simple steps above to make your day a little easier.
We started Sleep Galleria to make it easy for anyone to experience exceptional sleep. All of our relaxation and sleep related products are designed to help you be your best self. Learn more at SLEEPGALLERIA.COM
Leave a comment